Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Pursuit of Beauty



 "Outward beauty is the most important thing to women." - Chris Rock

 I watched an interview on TV recently featuring Chris Rock who has made a new documentary called "Good Hair". The movie has me intrigued me partly because of the fact it exposes the Hindu ritual in India of shaving your head to sacrifice to the temples and that hair is actually now being made into weaves, and because I felt it would be a good society study, which I absolutely love. So as I was watching this interview and he was talking about the great lengths women go to for their hair, it really got me thinking.

 As he said that outward beauty is the most important thing to women, the truth of the matter was clear. My mom pointed out that this is not just a current day issue or a modern one, but since the beginning of the world, women have craved beauty. It's part of our nature as women to desire to be beautiful and desirable.

 Think about the ancient Egyptians. All the makeup they wore around their eyes remind me a lot of the emo look today. But it was the style then, and the sign of beauty was painted eyelids and straight hair. Or think of Persia, where Esther lived and all the beauty treatments that she went through before being made queen. An entire year was spent on making the women beautiful and desirable to the king. Or think or England in the 1700s and corsets! They put their bodies as serious risk and were horribly uncomfortable all for the sake of beauty.

 Yet it all fades.

 Everyone someday grows old and no matter how hard we try we can not always be stunning on the outside. You may be 80 and still look great for your age, but when you put a 20 year old model by you, it's easy to tell your beauty has faded. And most importantly, outward beauty doesn't go with us to the grave. When we die our beauty means nothing. If we spend our entire life investing in outward beauty, when we face God and that's all that we have, we are in grave trouble.

 Proverbs 31:30 says that "Charm is deceptive and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised". Now Abigail and I like fashion, we like dressing up, we like looking beautiful; but we love Christ. If we were to chose outward beauty or having the blood of Jesus cleanse and beautify our hearts, we would both chose the latter. Because when you look in light of eternity, outward beauty fades to nothing. We are not to gain the whole world but lose our soul, and that "whole world" includes our outward beauty.

 If beauty is what we chase after, it will never be enough. We will always want more and it wont satisfy. A model for Victoria Secret's that is a professing Christian said once that "everything about me is fake. My hair is fake my nails are fake, even my heart is fake." Now I'm not sure about you, but I don't want a fake heart. The search for outward beauty will only leave us with just that, a fake heart.

 Our blog is named Imperishable Beauty because Abigail and I as young woman are trying to strive for a beauty that wont fade or grow old with age and we want to see others striving for that as well. We want the beauty that comes from Christ, from Him transforming and redeeming our withered and broken soul and making them beautiful. We want to grow in character and good works and purity. And above all, we want Christ to be our source of beauty more then the clothes we wear and how we look.

13 comments:

  1. Yes, pursuing outward beauty creates something that is very fake. Thanks for your encouraging words! -Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. claudine@orphanscry.comJanuary 30, 2010 at 3:11 PM

    Just over here from Lynette's blog. I'm a 42-yr-old mama of 3 boys, 2 girls (plus 1 boy and 2 girls in Heaven). I have prayed for my kids to all have godly, passionate spouses. Reading this blog gives me hope that there are indeed "pure hearts" out there. "Keep your hands to the plow...fixing your eyes on Jesus the Author and Perfector of your faith...consider Him that you might not grow weary & lose heart."

    Bless you,

    Claudine T in MD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! A friend of mine shared your blog with me and I LOVE it! I happen to write a blog about purity... You should check it out! Great job on your blog though!! :)

    JEN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Olivia and Abigail,

    I just found your blogs today. The Lord used you, mainly today, Olivia, but this blog that you co author, to speak deep to my heart as a mother of 4 young women and a young prince. My oldest is 12. I would love for you to visit my blog and read my post about you and the impact that you made on my very soul today.

    THANK YOU for being the passionate and BEAUTIFUL young women you are! I would love to hear how your parents have impacted your life and how you came to realize Jesus was your all in all. = )

    peace be with you both this night,

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true! Thank you for sharing this.
    Blessings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is so pretty! I really like it!

    if you want to, come visit my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your post. I really needed that reminder today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello I'm a new follower.. (I couldn't resist making your follower # 100)...
    Great post!

    I love your blog header!

    Come visit my blog if you want @
    www.asimplefarmgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed this posting on "women chasing after temporary beauty"...as I have studied out the Hebrew women and their "chasing" I discovered and found a sad truth...it was not until the Hebrew women were exposed to the "paints of the Egyptian women" that they became dissatisfied with the " countenance of the Lord as their beauty"...they traded the "Glory of God" that was evident as Godlly women for the temporary paints of the idol worship..."self"....
    I truly enjoyed this posting....it reminded me of the scriptures also that states, "come out from among them be ye separate"...I see it as God instructing "me" to stop with the idol worship of self to entertain other mankind with temporary beauty, but to seek to adore and give him my worship. Truly Truly enjoyed your posting today! < I just found it today > wink wink

    ReplyDelete
  11. Indeed, outward beauty fades and is not really valuable in the long run. Having a good heart and living a righteous life is more important than that.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate all your comments, even those that disagree with us but we do ask you that you put your disagreements in a respectful and courteous way. Please do not leave them anonymous but at least sign your first name. Thank you very much! God bless!