Monday, June 22, 2009

Honoring Our Future Husbands: Series Introduction

"She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life." Proverbs 31:12
One day I was reading through Proverbs 31, the famous “women” chapter , and I saw this verse and something struck me about it. I had heard and read it before, but it hadn’t set in until then. The simple word “all” had set a little light bulb off in my mind that has refused to go out.

The mentality in our culture is to think nothing of giving our hearts to guy after guy, to learn to effortlessly flirt with any cute guy that comes along, and to act with very little discretion in numerous ways. Especially when it comes to our relationships with guys we don’t often seek to honor our husbands. We go for the short term pleasure rather then pleasing God and loving our husbands all the days of our life.

The concept of being faithful to one's husband is commonly applied to the married woman. However, in referring to "all the days of our lives", wouldn't it include our childhood, teen, and single adult years? How do we honor someone if we don’t know who they are? We're going to do our best to share with you all our ideas on how to strive for this beautiful accomplishment. Many of these thoughts come from mine and Abigail's personal experiences and goals to honor our future husbands (if God blesses us with them) and God with our life.

We can not expect that when we are married all our bad habits are going to disappear and we will instantly become godly wives and women. It doesn’t work like that. We need to work towards honoring our husband; for it is not an instant thing and it is not something you only do while married. Above all we need to pursue godliness and seek to honor God above all else. May all that we do honor and glorify Him.

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this series. I am EXCITEd for it!! Sounds good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully spoken!! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a topic I've thought about A LOT. As a young lady dipping her toes into adulthood, I've already come across the instructions on "how to play the dating game". They are silly rules that I don't plan to follow. I'm all about protecting and guarding my heart (and body)... remaining an untarnished treasure for myself, my future husband, and my glorious Father.
    I'm looking forward to reading more!
    -Joni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I just posted a poem along this topic on my own blog http://aquietwordfromnatalie.blogspot.com/2009/06/unmarried-woman.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy you're doing a series on this because it is something I have struggled with in the past. It wasn't until recently that I read the words of Leslie Ludy that my life started to change. I no longer wanted to act the way I was acting around guys. The Word says to honor your husband ALL the days of your life.

    I look forward to reading more!

    In Him,
    Paulina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! These thoughts are also very wise for us single men to remember regarding our future wives. Thanks for the good reminders! God bless.

    --Tim

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate all your comments, even those that disagree with us but we do ask you that you put your disagreements in a respectful and courteous way. Please do not leave them anonymous but at least sign your first name. Thank you very much! God bless!