Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Heart of Humility

Where do we find the balance between confidence and egotism? In the fight for the qualities of a virtuous woman, it can be easy to slip from the simple security of righteousness to the abuse of acknowledgement of one’s own righteousness. I think—though it is unique to each age, generation, and stage of spiritual maturity—we all struggle with this.

It feels good to do what’s right; as a matter of fact, I think it verges on the best feeling we can get on this earth. I think the majority of the time, we’re quite aware of the things that we do the right way. The trouble appears when we start to take advantage of our good judgment—we build ourselves up in our own minds, and in the process destroy our relationships.

Proverbs 27:2 says, “Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.” At first, it feels really nice to be able to tell people the things that you did right; but eventually, people start to look at you differently. You’re no longer the object upon which they can cast their respect, because you’ve taken every honorable trait that you had and mauled its appeal. The strongest message in the Gospel is to love…love the Lord, and love your neighbor as yourself. So, when we’re constantly boasting about what we’ve done right, what is that saying to the receivers of our gloating? It may not feel like it, but that’s a very quick way to demean a person.

Matthew 5:20 says “For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.” When Christ died on the cross, He did not take away the law, He fulfilled it. In His death, we gained freedom, but with that freedom came a new responsibility—the responsibility which was presented earlier in Matthew 5 with the beatitudes. When we’re told to exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, it’s clear instruction to not only be upright, but to have an upright heart.

To fulfill Christ’s wishes, we must cast away our pride and self-righteous mindsets. He is the only one who can emanate true righteousness. Conceited virtue isn’t virtue at all. In the constant struggle to be a truly beautiful woman, we must never forget the importance of our dependence on Christ to fulfill each and every good thing that we do. In His righteousness is our confidence.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree.

    I think that the beauty of good deeds is often the quiet way in which they bless. The good you've brought for the glory of God is reward enough. Often I find myself keeping these things in my heart as a reminder of how God shows himself through me.

    Thank you for encouraging me today. :)

    Love to you always,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just stumbled on to your blog. Your writing is beautiful, and I love the verse 1 Peter 3:4 that you put under your title. I'll be looking forward to more posts :).
    Victoria
    http://holyaspirations.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey- I just wanted to encourage you a little bit. :) I haven't seen much of you around here, so consider this a prod for a post. Looking forward to one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girls this is such a great blog! I hope you both will find time to post on here even though I know your lives are very full. I think there is a real need for this ministry to young ladies who are seeking to do God's will.
    Keep up the good work.... Blessings!
    Grandma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi It's me again.
    I thought after my last comment that I might also add that not only is this a good blog for young women,..but for all women! I have gleaned much from your writings and the scriptures that you both use. I have been greatly blessed and encouraged.
    Thank you both.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate all your comments, even those that disagree with us but we do ask you that you put your disagreements in a respectful and courteous way. Please do not leave them anonymous but at least sign your first name. Thank you very much! God bless!