Friday, February 13, 2009

Redeeming Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is the most loved and the most hated day in America. For most people, their feeling about this day can change every year, usually depending on their situation in life. I always just liked it because I really, really, really like chocolate… (but we won’t get into that now.) For some reason I’ve been thinking about it more this year, is it really just a greeting card holiday? Or does it hold a little bit more to it?

Valentine's Day can be slightly depressing for the most content single person, and believe me, I’m VERY content (as well as very young), but for a Christian single person, should it be that way? Should we have our moment of self pity that we have to wait or that we can’t have “fun” like every other teen out there? I know in my mind that the answer is no, sometimes it’s the connecting it with my heart that’s harder. (I found this article an excellent one on this topic.)

A thought really grabbed me about a month ago, that I should make a decision that for the rest of my life, whether single or married, that I will celebrate Valentine's Day with joy.

When we think of Valentine's Day we always think of the romance type of love, but that sort of love shadows in comparison to the true love, the love that was shown at Calvary when Christ’s blood was shed so we could be redeemed. Why can’t we turn Valentine's Day into a day to celebrate more than what our culture calls “love” but is only a fake imitation, usually "glorified lust"? I see no reason why not.

This Valentine's Day I am going to be spending it doing some serious praying; thanking God for His radiant example of true, real, authentic love; love that is so much more then what the TV screen promotes. But in addition to that, I really want to spend some time praying for my future husband; that God will be molding and shaping His heart into the most wonderful man on the planet and that I will be able to honor this man that God already has picked out for me. And of course, I’ll have some chocolate… :)

I’m thoroughly looking forward to “Singles Awareness Day” this year. I truly want to make it into a meaningful holiday that is a celebration of both earthly love and heavenly love. The heavenly love is so much better then the earthly romance, it looks like wilted weeds compared to the perfect rose of the love that was in the blood of Christ.

I want to encourage you all to “claim” Valentine's Day for Christ. To make this into a meaningful holiday that’s more about “googley-ness” and chocolate (though I think there should be a National Chocolate Day… that would be the best!), but instead something that is meaningful and sacred in a way. May you all have a blessed Valentines Day and may Christ’s love fill your hearts with joy that’s better then world class chocolate. :)

8 comments:

  1. Ladies, I am so excited about this blog. I have known both of you for awhile now, and to see the fruit of your love for Jesus is thoroughly encouraging for me. This post was no exception. I will definitely apply what you have shared in this post tomorrow for Valentines Day, to set it apart for the Lord and in praying for (if God wills) my future husband.

    I am so excited about your new ministry with this blog, and I pray God richly blesses your sincere efforts beyond your imaginations.

    I love you both, my sisters in Christ!
    Kaysie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia, this is a beautiful post! Thank you so much for these encouraging words. Valentine's Day can be a tough one for me, but it is such a blessing to know that God's love will never let me go. And just today I prayed for my future husband- it was such a comfort for me to do that! God bless you both.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Olivia, for this post! Even though I live in Bolivia where Valentine's Day passes by almost unnoticed, it was a timely reminder of several things to me as a single.

    Blessings to you both as you launch this beautiful blog!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girls, I will pray for you as you take on this ministry!! I am sure that God will bless you both for your demonstrated love toward him! Keep on keeping on!!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abigail and Olivia, I will pray for you both as you maintain this blog. I pray that many young women will be followers of Christ,...and of your blog.
    Blessings!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very excited about this blog! I will be a faithful reader ;)

    This is a very well written post. As a wife I still find Valentines Day to be a bit of a burden. I guess I don't see why I should show my love and affection for my Hubby more on one day of the year than all the others. We don't do much for Valentines day. Hubby made me a wonderful hardy vegetable soup as a gift and I made the family cinnamon rolls =) Just our way of "celebrating".

    I like your idea of claiming Valentines Day for Christ. That is a wonderful thought! I will keep that in mind next year.

    Beautiful blog ladies!! You did a WONDERFUL job designing it, Abigail ! And of course beautifully written Olivia =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your encouraging comments! We also look forward to seeing where this blog will go, and are so grateful for all of the support that you have given!

    Your encouragement is greatly appreciated and we are thrilled to embark on this journey and grow in Christ as we study His Word more and more. :)

    In His arms,
    --Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting insights. I have to disagree with you on a major point, though. National Chips and Salsa day would be far better than National Chocolate Day.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate all your comments, even those that disagree with us but we do ask you that you put your disagreements in a respectful and courteous way. Please do not leave them anonymous but at least sign your first name. Thank you very much! God bless!